Thursday 22 April 2010

'Original Print. How can that be?'

I'm sometimes asked why I refer to my prints as 'Original Woodblock Prints'. How can a print be original? Here's a great little explanation from The London Original Print Fair website.

What is an original Print?
An original print is an image produced from a surface on which the artist has worked, such as a stone or wood block or a copper plate. This surface is intended by the artist to be a stage in the creation of the artwork. Thus the original work of art in this case is the print itself rather than the block or plate, from which it is printed.

1 comment:

roryroryrory said...

HI Mark, cheers for your interest in my stuff. I've done some more prints - http://roryroryrory.blogspot.com/2010/05/traditional-japanese-woodblock-prints.html thought you may be interested. Cheers Rory