Sunday 13 May 2007

"Where have you been?" said Florence.

Just a quick post to update on what I've been working on recently.
Remember "The Magic Roundabout", the children's series from the 1960's and 70's? Well, Dougal, Florence, Brian and the rest of the gang are returning to TV screens soon in a brand new CGI animated series. I've been part of the storyboard team and I'll be finishing my last episode in a week or so.
The series is being animated in France by Action Synthese, but the pre-production, scripts, storyboards and voice recordings are being handled by co-production partners Silver Fox Films in the UK, with director Graham Ralph at the helm.
I've 'boarded 8 episodes and they've been great fun to work on. (I'll list them in a subsequent posting, once the series is broadcast.) Graham wanted to capture the eccentricity of the original series, but develop the show to work within a 10 minute format for a new generation, and from what I've seen it all works beautifully. The storyboard artists were given a degree of freedom within the script to be visually creative and add elements of English eccentricity to sequences.
I used to watch the original series when I was small and to be given the opportunity to contribute to the continuing adventures of characters from my childhood has been a real pleasure and honour.

No comments: